07/12/2006

Say hello to Lee


During the festive period, Lee Rogers, a graphic design student from University College Falmouth, will be joining the Leap Team as temporary Creative Assistant to gain a professional insight into the world of sustainable design. Check out a brief auto-biog from the man himself:

Lee (Buck) Rogers:

"Hi my name is Lee, I’m 22 and I am studying Graphic Design at University College Falmouth. There’s only 2 terms left, and there’s lots to do! When I’m not designing I love to surf, which is more of an obsession than a hobby. Surfing throughout our cold winters, along with an interest in travel motivated me to visit several places around the world, which include; Austria, Costa Rica, Cyprus, France, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Morocco, Panama, Portugal, Spain (+Balearic and Canary Islands), Sri Lanka and USA.

Art & Design was always my favourite subject through school, and into college. On a foundation course at college I decided Graphic Design was for me. I’m still trying things out to help me identify the areas which I enjoy most; this allows me to work broadly experimenting with brand identity, editorial, typography and ideas. I had a good work placement at Nixon Design in Hayle for two weeks over the summer, where I learnt a lot about the working environment.

Some of my favourite designers include;
Josef Müller-Brockmann - For the clarity of the message in his posters.
Derek Birdsall – For his book designs where content is paramount.
Yugo Nakamura – For his experimental web designs.

But rather than finding inspiration from particular designers, I like to find inspiration in everything.

Some people I’d like to meet include;
Occy, Arnold Schwarchenegger and Lenin.

Throughout school Buck Rogers was my nickname – Not because I did anything superhero like, my second name is Rogers.

The goal for a sustainable future is ever more important. I’m writing a dissertation about ‘Greenwashing’, which is a term used to describe large organizations that project themselves as green, when the reality is often that their environmental actions are insignificant."

No comments: